Monday, July 06, 2009

The Games
Another weekend and another Highland games, this week we were at Cupar in Fife. On arrival the rain started and got harder and harder, fortunately the rain went off and the track dried up. After the track dried the racing got fast and as such I changed my gear from 48x17 to 48x16 as I seemed to be spinning out.
It was a funny weekend for me in that my legs did not seem to be working very well although as the day wore on I seemed to get better. I was disappointed in not getting into the 80m final but my handicap and the fast conditions did not help.


Photos from Tom/Nick Hunter

Results:
800 Mts Final
1st Darren Howitt
2nd Tim Allan
3rd James Melville

1600m
1st Darren Howitt
2nd James Melville
3rd Stu McManus

3200m
1st Tim Allan
2nd Alan Clark
3rd Craig Hardie

De'il (Devil) tak the hindmost*
1st Alan Clark
2nd Craig Hardie
3rd Darren Howitt

*Elimination race where one rider comes out last over the line each lap till 3/4 left who sprint for the win.
There is mention of the De'il in a passage of the address to the haggis written by Robert Burns:

Then, horn for horn they stretch an' strive,
deil tak the hindmost, on they drive,
Till a' their weel-swall'd kytes belyve
Are bent like drums ;
Then auld Guidman, maist like to rive,
Bethankit hums.

No comments:

Post a Comment